Passenger

Passenger by Alexandra Bracken is a book I've wanted to get my hands on for a very long time. And now, much to my personal delight, I finally own a copy (thanks, mum!).  After having seen it advertised on pretty much every social media platform, I was curious to know why it had suddenly become so popular amongst numerous bloggers and bookworms. And now, after reading it, I finally know why.


Packed with time travel, adventure, and copious amounts of action, Passenger is about New Yorker and young violinist Henrietta Spencer. After preparing for her debut for months and finally about to perform on stage, circumstances arise and cause her world to come crashing down at her feet. Quite literally.

Awaking from a blackout, she soon discovers that she is miles away from the bustling streets of New York City -- and in fact finds herself in the year 1776, with no reasonable explanation as to how she got there, on board a ship that's voyaging across the Atlantic Ocean. Here, she meets the reserved and wary Captain Nicholas Carter, an African-American pirate charged with the task of retrieving an object wanted by a notorious and fierce generation of time travellers: the Ironwood's. If he can find this object, he can barter for his freedom. But it's not that simple, especially when Etta could potentially be the key.

As lies are unknotted and truths are revealed, Etta and Nicholas find themselves drawn not just to each other, but to a sudden and desperate need to embark on a new journey and find out what the Ironwood's really want. But delving deeper into uncovered secrets, and time travelling to the edges of the world, may cost them both the things they love the most.

Favourite quotes:

'"You cannot fathom the distance I would travel for you . . ."'

'In the whole course of history, war had always fallen on the shoulders of the young.'

'"It's our choices that matter in the end. Not wishes, not words, not promises."'

Favourite character:

Etta, of course! She displayed such a remarkable amount of resilience throughout the entirety of the novel -- who else could constantly be thrown into a different era, fall in love for the first time, fight off wild animals, and act like being tailed by strange agents with guns was all completely normal?

3 words to describe the book:

Intriguing, suspenseful, addictive.

Rating:

✮✮✮✮/✮✮✮✮✮

When I finished the book, the cliff hanger had me like this. And I panicked, because I thought, 'It can't just end like that!'. But thanks to the fact there's going to be a sequel published on January 3rd, 2017, it won't.

2 comments

  1. I've finally downloaded a copy of Passenger! It's been 99p on Kindle for so long, I thought it was maybe just for July and I'd missed the sale, but luckily it's still on sale! I'm looking forward to reading it. I'll let you know what I think. Your review of it makes me even more eager to read it. All the pirates and history and romance!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I can't wait to hear what you think of it! :) It really is a brilliant book!

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig