Beautiful Broken Things

A few days ago, I went out shopping with the intent of buying new clothes and shoes for college. Instead, I ended up with two new books in my basket: All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven, and Beautiful Broken Things by Sara Barnard, two recommendations by Zoella's book club that I just had to read after hearing about.


Telling the story of Rosie and Caddy, Beautiful Broken Things is a novel about the ins and outs of female friendship. Inseparable since birth, they share a seemingly unbreakable bond - until Rosie meets the beautiful, impulsive and secretive Suzanne, who's everything that Caddy isn't. Feeling like her best friend is being stolen away from her, and almost certain that Suzanne is hiding something big, Caddy does everything in her power to uncover the secrets of Suzanne's past. And once unearthed, these secrets only make her want to know Suzanne more. Becoming friends with someone who's impulsive and reckless seems like harmless fun, but soon, Caddy is being dragged into a world that tests every boundary she knows - one that could have disastrous consequences for her family and her friends.

Favourite quote:

'"People we love come and go, Caddy. That doesn't mean we loved them any less at the time."'

Favourite character:

In this novella, there was actually no character which I loved enough to completely call my favourite. From the minor characters to the protagonists, everyone was presented with complexities and insecurities, which made it hard for me to decide between who I liked, and who I simply felt sorry for. Suzanne, for example, was a combination of both. 

3 words to describe the book:


Provoking, emotional, haunting.

Rating:

✮✮✮✮/✮✮✮✮✮

Throughout the novel, Sara Barnard captured every element of female friendship perfectly: from the cat-fights, the backstabbing, and the apologising that came afterwards, everything about the novel was so raw and realistic. Even though the book was filled with a few laughable moments, the majority of it was extremely tense. And there was one moment in the book where my stomach dropped completely, and I had to take a moment to compose myself.

If you're looking for a book that will take you on a rollercoaster ride like this one, you need to buy Beautiful Broken Things. Right now.

6 comments

  1. The cover for this omg!! SO FREAKING CUTE♥ I'm so freaking glad you enjoyed this. Yay for beautiful books inside and out :) Great review!

    PS, I saw you on my twitter and decided to give your blog some love and follow you! :)
    Jumana @ Books by Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's such a beautiful cover isn't it? And aw thank you so much, that means a lot -- I've followed you back and will take a look at your blog now! <3

      Delete
  2. All the bright places is amazing! It's one of my favourite books!
    I'm super excited to read beautiful broken things!
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved BBT, but honestly, you'll love ATBP so much more. I just finished reading it yesterday, and it was so, so beautiful. I think it's now my favourite YA read! 🙂

      Delete
  3. Ooooo This sounds like a good one to read! Really glad to go through your blog and see your recommendations because I haven't read a good book in a long time! Might have to grab this one :)

    Jay
    blissfulbeautybird.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe thank you so much! And you should definitely read it, it's such a good story!

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig