The Infernal Devices: Clockwork Angel

Cassandra Clare is a well-known author, and if you've never heard of her or read any of her books, then yes, I'm going to silently judge you. All of her novels are brilliant, and I could fan-girl about The Mortal Instruments series (my favourite!) all day long, but I won't, because this blog post is about the first book in the The Infernal Devices trilogy.


Voyaging across the sea to England, where Queen Victoria reigns and Downworlders lurk in every street, Clockwork Angel tells the story of 16 year old Tessa Gray who's searching for her missing brother. Whilst gathering clues about his location, she's kidnapped by the Dark Sisters -- and is quickly rescued by Shadowhunters, half-angel, half-human warriors who keep the world free from chaos . . . specifically demon / warlock / vampire / anything remotely supernatural related chaos.

After discovering that she possesses unique powers, and is being hunted down by a force who will stop at nothing to see her vanquished (well, married), she must take refuge wherever she can find it -- starting with the Shadowhunters.

A story of magic, vengeance, power, and two boys she finds herself irrevocably drawn to, Tessa must learn to fight not just her enemies, but to fight for love, and for freedom.

Favourite quotes:

'Aunt Harriet had always said that as long as a tall woman carried herself well, she would forever look regal.'

'"When you find a man you wish to marry, Tess, remember this: You will know what kind of man he is not by the things he says, but by the things he does."'

'"The handsome young fellow who's trying to rescue you is from a hideous fate is never wrong. Not even if he says the sky is purple and made of hedgehogs."'

Favourite character:

It's always so difficult to pick a favourite character in a book, especially when there are 3 main protagonists to choose between. Tessa was undoubtedly fierce, and Jem was sweet and compassionate, but there was something about Will -- dark, alluring and secretive -- that I was really drawn to.

3 words to describe the book:

Action packed, magical, interesting.

Rating:

✮✮✮/✮✮✮✮✮

I'm always a fan of books written by Cassandra Clare, and this one was no disappointment. Although I didn't really like the clockwork / robot element of the book, I immediately fell in love with the characters, and adored how some aspects of The Mortal Instruments crossed over with the novel (hello, Magnus Bane!). After finishing the first book, I really can't wait to read Clockwork Prince and Clockwork Princess. The ending of the first novel had me like, 'what? OMG'. Talk about suspense.

12 comments

  1. I'm ashamed to say I've never read anything by Cassandra Clare despite hearing many good things about her, but I'm on the lookout for a new series to get into so I'm going to have to check her books out! I really like how you include your favourite quotes in your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you really need to -- they're amazing! If you ever read any of her books, be sure to let me know what you think of them! :D And thank you so much for commenting on my blog!

      Delete
  2. Great review! I haven't gotten around to reading this but it is on my long as ever to be read list!

    S .x http://ramblingsofayoungprgirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you (and I know the feeling of having an excessively long TBR list too). :)

      Delete
  3. I love the, "when you find a man you wish to marry..." quote. I think that in itself has won me over to give this a read! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, it's such a simple quote but I found it really powerful. And yes, you should definitely read it when you have the chance! :D

      Delete
  4. Great review, I really need to read something by Cassandra, I'm ashamed I have yet to do so! X
    www.sopherina.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. <3 And yes, you really do! I only started reading her books about a year ago, and from that point onwards she's definitely become one of my favourite authors.

      Delete
  5. I used to read all the time but now I barely get time! This may have to be my next read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! If you read it, please let me know if you enjoy it!

      Delete
  6. Cassandra Clare is my absolute favourite! and the Shadowhunters series are my favourite series too! i absolutely love the idea and i think that they're written so well!

    xoxo
    Kirsty

    thebibliophilegirluk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I absolutely love The Mortal Instruments!

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig