With Malice

Psychological thrillers are one of the three genres I've sectioned away into my To Never Be Read list (like a TBR pile, but with an N thrown into it. And yeah, I actually have one  of those.) It's not that I'm not a fan of stories that will haunt my nightmares; it's just that it's a genre I've never really read much of, so much so that I always disregard it when I'm searching for new books to read. With Malice was actually an exception to this, and I'm so glad that I ended up buying it.


With Malice by Eileen Cook is a psychological thriller that tells the story of Jill Charron, a teenager who awakes in hospital to discover that she was involved in an accident and is missing six weeks of her memories. Shielded from what happened in a hospital far away from Italy, Jill must now focus on recovering from her injuries -- but healing is difficult to do when her dad has hired her a lawyer. And a press team. And is insisting that she doesn't read or watch the local news.

Surrounded by secrets and quickly realising the full extent of the tragedy, she must now accept that maybe the accident wasn't really an accident at all. After all, that's what the police are telling her -- and blaming her for.

Knowing deep down that she is not at fault, Jill must prove her innocence. But how do you search for the truth when you don't even remember it yourself?

Favourite quotes:

'"Drama is like honey -- it draws all the flies."'

'She could clean out a pantry in no time straight. I only had to look at a cupcake, and my butt would start getting larger.'

'I think it is okay to be disappointed by things. It doesn't matter if things don't work out exactly as we want. The important thing is that we keep trying and keep shooting for that ideal.'

Favourite character:

Even though I feel like it's always so typical to pick the main protagonist as a favourite character, it hands down has to be Jill -- not just because the whole book centred around her regaining her memories, but because I empathised with her and really connected with the way she reacted to the situation she was placed in. Yay for strong female protagonists!

3 words to describe the book:

Chilling, tense, captivating.

Rating:

✮✮✮/✮✮✮✮✮

After reading this book, I'm definitely going to have to get my hands on some new thrillers to read, so if you have any recommendations, let me know in the comments below, or Tweet me here.

16 comments

  1. Oh sounds so gripping I will need to pick this book up! Love the way you review!
    L x
    thequietresolution.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the book, thank you for visiting my blog. :)

      Delete
  2. I HAVE THAT PILLOW! Sorry hehe just had to say that.

    Doesn't sound like my kind of book tbf but sometimes you can be shocked and end up really enjoying something different!

    Nadia || http://psychologyfoodandfitness.blogspot.co.uk <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a cute pillow isn't it? And that's very true! If you ever do get the chance to read it, I hope you enjoy the book. :)

      Delete
  3. I love a psychological thriller and the book cover is really good on this! Definitely want to check this one out!

    www.ohsobecky.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, it's a really gripping story. :D

      Delete
  4. This book sounds really interesting! One question though, is it an easy read or one that you really have to concentrate on? I prefer books that are easy to read!
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I'd say that it's a fairly easy read. :) A few thrillers I've read in the past have had really complex plots, but this one was straight forward and easy to understand, which I really loved about the book. :)

      Delete
  5. Love a good gripping thriller, will have to give this a read! Always looking for good book reviews and this one was great! Thanks for sharing, Jess xx

    www.AlmostChic.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I hope you enjoy the book whenever you read it. :D

      Delete
  6. OOOOOOOH, this sounds so good! I'm looking for a new book to read on my kindle and you've just given it to me! So excited to read this! x

    Stephanie // www.stephiebeau.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I could help you decide what to read next! :)

      Delete
  7. Sounds like such an intetrsting book, I love thrillers so I'll definitely be adding this to my to-read list! I also love that you added a 'Favourite quotes' section to this post, makes me want to read it more! X

    Small, Brown & Stylish | Thrifty Fashion & DIY Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  8. Ahhh yes! Sounds like a book right up my street! I love things like this that has twists. Where you can't guess what the ending of the book will be like. I love how you give a run down of the book also, what you think and your favorite quote are, ect. Will be picking this up! :)

    Jay
    blissfulbeautybird.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I hope you enjoy the book whenever you read it! :)

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig