A Quiet Kind of Thunder

If anyone loves Sara Barnard's writing just as much as I do, you'll be happy to know that she's releasing a new YA book in January 2017. I was lucky enough to snag a proof copy of A Quiet Kind of Thunder to review on my blog, and it's the sweetest, most adorable Young Adult novel I've read in a long time. Even more amazing than Beautiful Broken Things (which, FYI, I adored).


A Quiet Kind of Thunder tells the story of selective mute Steffi, who, save from speaking to her parents and her best friend September, has sent most of her life living in complete silence. She feels completely invisible to the outside world - until a new deaf pupil named Rhys arrives at her school.

The only teenager with an understanding of basic sign language, Steffi is assigned to look after him. Having to overcome the barriers of sound, communicating with Rhys is a difficult challenge (to begin with) - but it's one that helps her find her own voice, and eventually, discover the love she feels towards a boy who helps her express it.

Favourite quote:

'I decided this is just A Bad Day. We all get them, because grief doesn't care how many years it's been.'

Favourite character:

If I had to pick a favourite character from the book, it would have to be Steffi (closely followed by Rhys, of course). I absolutely loved the way how Sara Barnard portrayed her as an extremely realistic character who had good days and bad days, and happy thoughts and unhappy thoughts. Albeit having a small voice, she was a character with a strong narrative, and one that was impossible not to look up to and admire.

3 words to describe the book:

Raw, realistic, beautiful.

Rating:

✮✮✮✮/✮✮✮✮✮

This book is beautiful, and not just because it's written by Sara Barnard. As well as being engaging and exceptionally written, the story handles issues such as anxiety, and living with selective mutism and deafness, in such a poignant and realistic light. When I say that this book is amazing, I mean it. It's all kind of gold and bronze (you'll understand my reference when you read the book, okay?). Add it to your TBR list immediately. And buy it when it's out. And then read it, and read it again, and recommend it to your friends. It's brilliant.

34 comments

  1. This book sounds amazing and really up my street! The bad day quote is awesome definetely something I would enjoy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a good book, I highly recommend it! xxx

      Delete
  2. this sounds wonderful!

    Terri x
    www.c0yoteugly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a brilliant book. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm adding this to my list

    Courteney xxxxx

    http://courteneywrites.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/the-fault-in-our-stars-book-vs-film.html#more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a good book, Courteney! <3 I hope you enjoy reading it if you decide to buy it.

      Delete
  4. Love the quotes from the book definitely going to have to look into getting it!

    -Soph
    Www.planetwhispers.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quotes are brilliant, aren't they?

      Delete
  5. You know, I've never read a YA book! This one sounds like it has a really interesting, unique plot. I'm normally big on thrillers, so I'm not sure if it would float my boat!

    Hazel - http://www.fleurcharms.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only just started reading lots of YA recently, and now I can't get enough of the genre! :D I've only ever read one thriller before called With Malice, which is definitely one I recommend!

      Delete
  6. this is such a good description about it, i'm definitely going to have a look at it it seems amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my blog -- I hope you enjoy the book if you decide to pick it up!

      Delete
  7. This sounds so interesting! And the quotes are interesting and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a brilliant, unique read. :)

      Delete
  8. Wow what a great review, I can definitely see myself reading this book and enjoying it very much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zoe! <3 You'll have to let me know what you think of the book if you decide to read it!

      Delete
  9. Added it to my TBR - because it totally needed yet another addition to it, right? :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! (And of course! You can never have a big enough TBR list hahaha)

      Delete
  10. This sounds like such a great book and you gave an excellent review! I'll add this to my list x melishiascorner.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. :)

      Delete
  11. This sounds like such a wonderful book - I think I'll definitely be adding it to my list. The quotes you have picked out have sold it!

    XO
    Ashley
    https://ashlexyz.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great read . . . I do hope you enjoy it! xxx

      Delete
  12. This books sounds very interesting. Definitely going to check it out. xo

    Antonia || Sweet Passions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, it's brilliant. <3

      Delete
  13. Great review! I'm always open to reading about new books, seeing that I need some new ones for my collection. That's one of my new year goals❤️️ This is definitely going on the list!
    KeepingupwithMJ.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) And yay, I hope you enjoy reading the book!

      Delete
  14. ahh, i've actually been wanting to read more books lately and I needed recommendations but this is amazing! sounds great, I will defo read this! x

    possiblysami.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a heart warming read -- I hope you enjoy it. :)

      Delete
  15. This sounds like quite the interesting story line! I am liking the idea of the book all ready so I'm going to have to check it out. Thanks for sharing this. (:

    Single Vegas Girl
    http://singlevegasgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never read anything by this author but I will for sure be picking this up, it sounds great! Lovely post x

    Meg
    xmeganlisa.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! She's also written a book called Beautiful Broken Things which I highly recommend. <3

      Delete
  17. This sounds like such a good book! I'll add it to my ever growing TBR list... thanks!
    Love a good book recommendation ☺️

    https://considertheend.com

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig