Three Dark Crowns

Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake is a book I've wanted to read for a very long time, ever since I saw it sitting in a bookshop window looking all pretty in its newly printed glory. The same day I was about to buy it, a package from My Kinda Book containing a proof of the story arrived in the post (so I guess I now believe in fate).



It tells the story of three young triplets competing for the throne: Mirabella, an elemental who can control water strong enough to drown a hundred ships, and fire hot enough to make a thousand cities burn; Katharine, a poisoner who can ingest any toxin without dying, and Arsinoe, a naturalist who can make flowers bloom and control animals at her own will.

It isn't just a matter of power, though. To become queen, each sister must compete for the throne until only one of them is left standing -- meaning the other two must die, no matter what the cost. But the fight will not be a fair one. Whereas the beautiful Mirabella grows stronger and more fierce every day, feeble Arsinoe cannot make a single flower grow, and dainty Katharine cannot drink a poison without suffering fatal consequences. 

A story of betrayal, alliances, political power and family, it soon becomes clear that the last queen standing may not be the strongest after all.

Favourite quote:

'"I should think that is what anyone would wish - to be loved for themselves and not their position.'"

Favourite character:

My favourite character in the book definitely had to be Mirabella. To me, she was the epitome of female empowerment: defying everyone - including those higher up in authority than her - to fight for her beliefs and the lives of her sisters.

3 words to describe the book:

Dark, gripping, intense.

Rating:

✮✮✮/✮✮✮✮✮

Do you ever read a book that you're completely in awe of? One that you get completely wrapped up in, so much so that when you check the time, you've been reading for almost half a day but it only feels like it's been an hour? Three Dark Crowns is one of those books - and trust me when I say that you need to read it if you haven't already. The cliff-hanger alone is explosive.

2 comments

  1. This sounds so great! I was looking at it and unsure, but now I am convinced!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm glad! Let me know if you enjoy it! :)

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig