What Light

With only two weeks to go until Christmas, I thought it was about time to get into the festive spirit and read something magical: What Light by Jay Asher (thank you, Becca, for sending me this in the post, it looks so beautiful on my shelf).


What Light tells the story of teenage protagonist Sierra who lives a life in two different places: one in Oregon, where she runs a Christmas tree farm with her family, and the other in California, the place she moves to every December to sell the trees she's helped to grow. When she's in California, she wants to be in Oregon, and when she's in Oregon she wants to be in California - until she meets Caleb, the boy who makes her never want to leave the place she calls home each winter.

Sierra knows that befriending him is a bad idea. And not just because she'll be travelling back to her hometown once the festivities are over. He has a reputation, one that makes him known for being dangerous, cold and impulsive. But Sierra believes in giving people second chances, and soon finds herself falling in love with a boy everyone but herself disapproves of.

Favourite quote:

'I thought I wanted to feel needed, but that gets exhausting real fast. I learned that it's much better to feel wanted.'

Favourite character:

Caleb! I can't go into much detail about why he's my favourite character without spoiling parts of the book, but just trust me when I say that despite his tragic past, he's sweet and sensitive and awesome, okay?

3 words to describe the book:

Festive, adorable, romantic.

Rating:

✮✮✮✮/✮✮✮✮✮

I'm guilty of never reading enough Christmas related books in December, so in 2017, I'm making it my mission to read at least five festive books, which includes re-reading What Light, because it's now one of my favourite festive reads. And I highly recommend that you read it, too. It's adorable. And magical. And all about Christmas trees and romance and peppermint hot chocolate. What could be more perfect than that?

P.S. If you have a favourite Christmas related read, let me know. I mean, my TBR list is long enough already, but I figured that Christmas is a time for indulgence. Adding a few more books to it can't do any harm.

4 comments

  1. I love reading and "What Light" sounds so interesting, I will definetily check it out! Unfortunately I don't have any christmas related reads to recommend at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really great book, I hope you enjoy it if you get the chance to read it. :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds so Christmassy! I'm reading the christmasaurus by Tom Fletcher and it's amazing! I know it's aimed at children but it makes a magical read for any age <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard loads of great things about The Christmasaurus, I'm definitely going to have to read it next year! Did you know it's being turned into a musical? :D

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig