Truthwitch (The Witchlands #1)

I couldn't have picked a better way to kick start 2017 than by reading a copy of Truthwitch by Susan Dennard, kindly sent to me by lovely team over at Tor HQ (you guys rock!). It's one of the best fantasies I've ever read -- and yes, this is your subtle hint to pre-order a copy of it before it hits U.K. shelves on January 12th.


The first book in The Witchland series tells the tale of Safiya, a Truthwitch with rare magic that many would kill for, and Iseult, a young girl who's true powers are hidden from everyone, including herself. After riling a powerful Guildmaster, they are now being hunted down by a Bloodwitch -- a sorcerer who can find them no matter what corner of the globe they run to.

By complete chance, Safiya forms an unlikely alliance with  Merik, a prince and captain of a ship which must grant both her and her Threadsister safe passage under terms of a political agreement. But not even his help can slow down the Bloodwitch, who's somehow always one step ahead of them. Both Safiya and Iseult want their freedom, and they will stop at nothing to get it . . . not even when war is waging, and their enemies continue to conspire against them.

Favourite quotes:

'"Those who win wars are those who write history."'

'"If you wanted to, Safiya, you could bend and shape the world."'

'"It wasn't my plan," he cut in, shoulders tensing. "But things change when war is on the horizon."'

Favourite character:

I'm going to have to say that both Threadsisters, Safiya and Iseult, were my favourite. Picking who I liked the most in the novel would be like trying to pick what my favourite book is: impossible. Even though they had different personalities, they shared an extremely empowering bond which never broke despite the odds of fate constantly being against them.

3 words to describe the book:

Epic, action-packed, unforgettable.

Rating:

✮✮✮✮✮/✮✮✮✮✮

I rarely give a book five out of five stars, but to me, everything about this novel was perfect. I could go on and on about how much I enjoyed the story -- from the world it was set in, to the development of the characters -- but instead, I'll just say this: buy the book. It'll be the best money you've spent this year.

4 comments

  1. Replies
    1. Yes! It's such an amazing book!

      Delete
  2. I want to read this book so badly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing! You won't regret buying a copy <3

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig