We Were Liars

I've wanted to read We Were Liars ever since I saw it advertised as a part of the Zoella Book Club last year. When it was reduced to just 99p on the Kobo bookstore, I couldn't resist buying it - and now as I've finished reading the book, I  can finally understand (and appreciate!) what all the well-deserved hype was about.


We Were Liars follows the story of teenager Cadence Sinclair, a daughter from a privileged family who goes to visit her three best friends  - Gat Jonny and Mirren, also known as the Liars - on a private island every summer. The more time they spend together, the more their friendship begins to take a destructive turn, until a revolution, a fatal accident, true love and one big, devastating secret threatens to break them all.

Favourite quotes

'Our upper lips are stiff, and it is possible that people are curious about us because we do not show them our hearts.'

Favourite character:

The four Liars: Gat, Jonny, Mirren and Cadence. Without them all, the book just wouldn't be the same.

3 words to describe the book:

Haunting, intriguing, exciting.

Rating:

✮✮✮✮/✮✮✮✮✮

The writing, the characters - I found everything about the story so intriguing, and I'm so excited to read more of E. Lockhart's books in the future (particularly The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, which I've heard lots of good things about).

By the way, if you're thinking of reading We Were Liars any time soon, the plot twist near the end of the book, which is so shocking, unexpected and made me question the entire story for a week, may give you a serious book hangover. But it's brilliant. And so clever. And for that reason alone, it's definitely worth the read.

18 comments

  1. I think this is such a well written book. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is! <3 And me too, I'm definitely going to have to re-read it in the summer.

      Delete
  2. I have to say, I'm now intrigued! I'll be adding this to my TBR pile for 2017! Thanks for bringing it to my attention 😊

    Ktkinnes xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, hope you enjoy the book :D

      Delete
  3. I really wanted to give this a try, now that I've read this I definitely want to!

    - Chloe
    chloetommo.co.uk
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should, it's such a brilliant story :)

      Delete
  4. There is nothing like getting a book on sale! That makes it hard to resist. I'm going to have to add this to my reading list. (:

    Single Vegas Girl
    http://singlevegasgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It's too tempting, especially when it's buy one get one half price haha :)

      Delete
  5. Woow, this sounds like my type of booK! I think I might go and pick it up, I'm glad you loved it.

    Gemma | www.anoceanglimmer.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good - I highly recommend it!

      Delete
  6. This book looks like something I'd enjoy, love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good, you definitely need to read it! <3 And me too - it's black and white on my Kobo but the physical copy is green and it's so bright!

      Delete
  7. Love this post!

    I had read lots of hype about it when it was released as part of Zoe's book club but never got around to reading it myself! Although I am now really intrigued after reading this!

    Thanks for sharing!
    Francesca xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth buying, I think you'd really enjoy it! :D

      Delete
  8. I am going to have to check it out now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one of my favourite books too. (Nice blog by the way) - Sue Wallman

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig