The One Memory of Flora Banks

The One Memory of Flora Banks is a book I've seen all over Instagram. It's been getting a lot of love recently, and considering how much I love YA, I thought it was only right to read it and see if it lived up to the hype.


Emily Barr's debut tells the story of Flora, a young teenage girl suffering from anterograde amnesia. After having a tumour removed from her brain, she is unable to make new memories - until one morning, she remembers kissing a boy named Drake on a beach in the moonlight.

Convinced that he is responsible for restoring her memory, Flora knows that she must do everything she can to find him. But he's moved to the other side of the world, in a cold and snowy place named Svalbard, where the sun barely ever shines and polar bears and puffins wander the terrain.

With nothing but information written on her arms, and the words 'Flora, be brave' tattooed onto her hand, she makes a journey to Norway to see him - but in the Arctic, nothing is quite as it seems.

Favourite quotes:

'"I think, Flora, that you came here not to find Drake but to find yourself."'

'Live in the moment whenever you can. You don't need a memory for that.'

'You should always get a window seat, because that way you can tell where you are. I write that down in my notebook, and see that it becomes my second rule for life.'

Favourite character:

My favourite character was Flora. Even though she was forgetful, she had a determined personality and a taste for adventure. I liked how she felt the need to prove to everyone that she was far more capable of achieving things than people thought she was.

3 words to describe the book:

Interesting, cliché (remembering she kissed a boy, of all things?), repetitive.

Rating:

✮✮✮/✮✮✮✮✮

Even though I didn't enjoy The One Memory of Flora Banks as much as I thought I would, I thought it was interesting as a whole. Reading it has definitely made me want to visit Svalbard - it seems like such a snowy and desolate place, perfect for people like myself who like peace and quiet and the cold! 

7 comments

  1. I keep hearing about this book - I think I'm going to have to give it a read out of curiosity! I really love that you included a favourite quotes section in this review also :) xx

    http://chloeharriets.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard so much about this book recently but it's all been really mixed reviews! I definitely need to read it to see what I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should... let me know your thoughts on it once you've given it a read! :)

      Delete
  3. Nice review! I definitely like Flora but as for the book itself I was a bit meh on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And me too... it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't exactly amazing, either.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed it slightly more than I did - I HATED this book, and that doesn't usually happen.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig