Daughter of the Burning City

When it was my Birthday way back in April, Amanda Foody kindly sent me a signed ARC of her debut novel, Daughter of the Burning City, to read. I finally started (and finished!) it yesterday, and I was amazed at just how brilliant the book was. I couldn't put it down.


Wicked, wicked to the core, the city will burn forever more... Daughter of the Burning City is a dark, young adult fantasy novel with a gripping storyline and an array of unique characters. Set in Gommorah, a travelling circus-city full of people who brand themselves as freaks, Sorina is the most unique  performer out of them all: she is an illusion-worker, the only one of her kind born in over one-hundred years.

Sorina's talents are rare: she is able to create illusions that have their own unique personalities - ones that are so life-like, people can see them and touch them like they physically exist. Her illusions are her family, and Sorina has always believed them to be figments of her imagination... until she finds one of them murdered in cold blood.

Sorina must now embark on a quest. Not only to figure out how someone managed to kill an illusion, but to also protect her family and prevent more blood from being spilled. On her search for answers, Sorina's path crosses with Luca's, a gossip-worker with unusual gifts and a reputation that precedes him. With the help of each other, can they find the murderer?

Favourite quote:

'"Sometimes bad things happen. And there's nothing we can do about them, and no one we can blame."'

Favourite character:

Sorina. She was such an unusual character... not just because of her physical appearance, but because of her bizarre and wonderful imagination. I loved her natural, creative flair, her sense of self-belief, and how she didn't let herself be defined by her abilities or what people thought of her.

I also liked Luca, too. Mysterious, alluring - yeah, he had that whole vibe going on, especially with his perfectly tailored jacket, posh accent and cane *swoons*. And don't even get me started on Sorina's illusions. They were awesome. Weird, but totally awesome.

3 words to describe the book:

Quirky, intriguing, dark.

Rating:

✮✮✮✮✮/✮✮✮✮✮

Daughter of the Burning City is a book that deserves all the stars and more. I simply can't summarise how incredible it was - it was one of the most unique books I've ever read, and one that I'll no doubt find myself re-reading lots of times. If you're a huge fan of the fantasy genre, and love stories that are on the slightly darker side, I definitely recommend pre-ordering this. Or heading to your local bookstore and grabbing a copy of it when it's out on July 25th. Or, you know, stealing it from a friend if they manage to buy it before you.

Amanda Foody is now officially one of my  favourite authors, and I can't wait for 2018 when she releases Ace of Shades, the first book in The Shadow Game series. You can find out more about it here. It sounds so amazing.

4 comments

  1. Ooo! I love darker fantasy! Might have to pick good one up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should, I think you'll really enjoy it :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. You should, it's such a brilliant book! :D

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig