Ruby Red

I'm obsessed with books that have pretty dresses on the cover, and I one-hundred percent blame Kiera Cass for this. Whilst scrolling through the book section of Amazon (and mentally crying because of how much this browsing made my TBR list grow), I spotted Ruby Red  by Kerstin Gier from a mile away. Naturally, I had to add it to my basket, because let's do the maths here: pretty cover + decent sounding blurb = a must buy, right?


Ruby Red is the first book in the Ruby Red trilogy, with Sapphire Blue and Emerald Green following afterwards. A sci-fi / fantasy novel, it tells the story of young Gwyneth Shepherd and her elder cousin Charlotte, who since birth, has been predestined to become the next family time traveller. Alas, due to circumstances which can't be explained without spoiling the book, it's actually Gwyneth who finds herself falling back through time. Oblivious to the danger she's been placed in, she must now partake in a journey and navigate her way through the streets of  18th century London, with the help of extrovert Gideon, who's presence slowly becomes more of a hindrance than a help.

Favourite quote:

'"If we were in a film, the villain would turn out to be the least expected person. But as we aren’t in a film, I’d go for the character who tried to strangle you."'

Favourite character:

I found it hard to connect with the characters in this book, but if I had to decide who was my favourite, it would have to be the protagonist, Gwyneth. After all, what's not to love about a headstrong female lead, who takes orders from nobody but herself?

3 words to describe the book:

Scientific, action packed, exciting.

Rating:

✮✮✮/✮✮✮✮✮

Even though I'm usually a huge fan of time travel books, I was quite disappointed with this story - probably because nothing can compare to the series I'm currently reading. Nevertheless, I'll probably buy the final two Ruby Red books, because one, I've heard it's supposed to get a lot better, and two, I'll feel all weird if I have an uncompleted trilogy sitting on my shelf.

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig