Faceless

When the Social Book Company emailed me asking if I wanted to review a copy of Faceless, I was delighted, not only because I'm always looking for new YA books to read, but because this book has been on my TBR list for such a long time, along with hundreds of other books, of course.


A poignant and eye-opening novella, Faceless by Alyssa B. Sheinmel tells the story of Maisie Winters, track athlete and straight A grade student with high ambitions for the future. Out for a run on a particularly foggy morning to clear her head, she can't help but feel like life is going according to plan... until she becomes the victim of a terrible accident.

Waking up in hospital, dazed, confused and wrapped in bandages, she assumes that her injuries - caused by a fatal lightening strike and an electrical fire - aren't that serious. After all, she can still wiggle her toes and think coherently. She isn't paralysed. But as the drugs wear off, she soon realises that something else is terribly wrong. Maisie has been burned, and part of her face is missing.

After undergoing successful face transplant surgery, she must now learn to move on from the past and focus on the future - but how do you adapt to a new life, when a stranger stares back at you in the mirror? How do you get back to normal when you don't feel normal yourself? And, more importantly, how do you live life when you don't even know who you are anymore?

Favourite quote:

'I also understand that who I am is fluid, ever-changing, impossible to pin down - no matter how much I'd like to make a list and stick to it.'

Favourite character:

I absolutely loved Maisie. Her courage, her strength, the frustration she felt towards the outcome of her accident. She was a character that I could always emotionally connect to, and one that felt so raw and so real. Alyssa, thank you for creating such a brave and inspiring protagonist.

I also have to include Serena (Maisie's BFF) in my list of favourite characters. Why? Because she was awesome. And supportive. And definitely the kind of friend that everybody needs in their life.

3 words to describe the book:

Empowering, insightful, beautiful.

Rating:

✮✮✮✮/✮✮✮✮✮

After reading Faceless, I (naturally) Googled the author and discovered that she's published loads of other books, too: The Stone Girl, Second Star, The Lucky Kind. And I need them all. Seriously. But if you haven't read Faceless and you're looking for a beautifully written YA book with a strong narrative and insightful storyline to read, this is the one you need to buy. A.S.A.P.

28 comments

  1. I might have to pick that up now you've reviewed it! I loved this quote you picked:

    'I also understand that who I am is fluid, ever-changing, impossible to pin down -- no matter how much I'd like to make a list and stick to it.'

    I'm a bit of a perfectionist myself so the quote itself I really love <3

    Thanks for writing such a lovely post :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, thank you for visiting my blog. <3 I really love that quote, too.

      Delete
  2. Ooh this book sounds so interesting Shannon! Will have to check it out - love a strong and inspiring female lead in a book, Maisie sounds like she's just that! Thanks for sharing such a lovely review :) Jess xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you enjoy the book if you get the chance to read it! :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds really up my street! Will have to get it for my next holiday. Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, I hope you enjoy it! xxx

      Delete
  4. I never heard of it and it sounds like a book I would love! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post, I really like the sound of this YA! Any book involving a strong corageous girl is a good read. X
    www.sopherina.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree -- I absolutely love strong female protagonists! Thanks for reading my blog! :D

      Delete
  6. I really loved this. So inspiring and encouraging. I love the quotes also, especially "You can't recover from any death without mourning"! That is so true, seeing that I've lost a loved one, mourning or crying and getting your feelings out really helps. Thanks for this today, indeed was a great read!
    KeepingupwithMJ.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much. <3 So glad you enjoyed the review!

      Delete
  7. I haven't read this book but it looks really interesting!

    Serena / http://ramblingsofanotherunistudent.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a good book, you definitely need to read it!

      Delete
  8. Great review, I love the way you have it laid out & this book sounds really good! This one is officially on my TBR list, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Sarah! :) Hope you enjoy the book!

      Delete
  9. Sounds like an interesting read, I certainly haven't read anything like this before. I may have to put this on my list!

    Lisa | www.fairlyrosy.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do, it's a must read. <3

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a really good read!

    http://thisissimplyme.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I'll have to pick this book up, it sounds really good! Thank you for sharing. Always love a good YA book

    Kate | www.paintingoctober.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, I hope you enjoy it! <3

      Delete
  12. I've never heard of this before but I love the narrative and defo gonna give this go sounds up my street. Pixie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you enjoy the book. :)

      Delete
  13. This sounds like my kinda book- and the cover looks beautiful! I'm a sucker for empowering books, and seen as you seem to review it highly, I may just check it out. Great post & review lovely. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the book if you decide to read it! :) And thank you so much!

      Delete
  14. I've never heard of this book before, but I definitely can see myself reading it after seeing the quotes you put in! Now I just have to move it to the top of my very long list of books to read- can't wait to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the book, be sure to let me know what you think of it! xxx

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig