Caraval

Caraval has been one of my most anticipated reads of 2017, and let me tell you this: the lengthy wait was one-hundred percent worth it. I ended up reading the whole book in a day - I really couldn't put it down! - and every page of it was just as good as I thought it would be.


Caraval tells the magical and intriguing tale of Donatella and Scarlett Dragna, two sisters fleeing from the hands of an abusive father and an arranged marriage in the hopes of finding a new adventure at Caraval, an island where time breeds magic, games are played, rules exist and wishes come true.

After receiving an invitation from Legend, the Master of Caraval, Scarlett and Tella are whisked away to the show by a mysterious sailor. Upon arrival, things soon take a turn for the worst and Donatella is kidnapped by Legend. The twist? This years game revolves around Tella, and whoever finds her will win the prize of one wish.

Everything that happens during Caraval is simply a performance, an elaborate trick of the eye - but Scarlett soon finds herself believing in the love, magic and heartbreak that comes along with playing the game. Whether Caraval is real or not, she has just five days to find her sister... and if she doesn't succeed, dangerous consequences will follow.

Favourite quotes:

'He kissed her once more, gently and deliberately, reassuring her without words that he had no intentions of letting her go.'

'No one ever saw Legend - or if they did, they didn't know it was him - but Legend saw all during Caraval.'

'Dreams that come true can be beautiful, but they can also turn into nightmares when people won't wake up.'

Favourite character:

As much as I adored Julian, my favourite character was definitely Scarlett Dragna. As a protagonist, I felt like she was extremely relatable in terms of doing anything she possibly could to make sure that the ones she loved were kept safe. That's one of the many traits that I loved about her - her loyalty and fierce protectiveness continued to shine through even when she was faced with the most impossible of scenarios.

3 words to describe the book:

Dark, magical, enchanting.

Rating:

✮✮✮✮✮/✮✮✮✮✮

Caraval is such an interesting book - I've never, ever come across anything like it. It's a lot darker than I thought it would be, and more bizarre, too, but everything about it was so interesting (and I can't wait for the sequel!). As a reader, I felt like the descriptions of the world Stephanie created were so vivid that I felt like I was one of the players in Caraval myself - like Scarlett, I had no idea who and who not to trust. It's definitely a book to add to your list of things to read.

30 comments

  1. I'm honestly so excited to read this book. I'm currently in the middle of a read-a-thon but I'm definitely going to pick this book up as soon as it's over! Really great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's brilliant... let me know what you think of it once you've read it! And thank you <3

      Delete
  2. Really good post def adding this to my to read list x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, and you should! I think you'd enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. Wow I might have to suggest this for my next book group book! Thanks for bringing it to my attention :D

    Zara Effie.

    Effieisbored.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This bok sounds amazing. Definitely going to put it on my reading list. xo

    Antonia || Sweet Passions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you enjoy it :D

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a great book! I am finishing Harry Potter and Hygge just now but I know what to get next! Thank you for sharing! xx C&K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard lots of good things about Hygge - I'm definitely going to have to pick up a copy! :) And you're welcome, I hope you enjoy the book when you get the chance to read it!

      Delete
  6. Sounds really interesting....I may just have to add that to my never ending bookshelf! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should, it's so good! xxx

      Delete
  7. Oh gosh, this sounds intriguing! I need to pick up some new books, so I'll keep a look out! xx

    mia // https://okaaythen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is!! They're selling a limited edition copy of the book at Tesco and it's only £5.00, so if you want to purchase it, I highly recommend getting it from there :)

      Delete
  8. This sounds really interesting! Loved your pick of quotes too- this is my favourite one '''Dreams that come true can be beautiful, but they can also turn into nightmares when people won't wake up'' x

    antoniawrites.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, and me too... it's one of my favourite lines of the book :D

      Delete
  9. I really want to read this book! The cover is gorgeous and it looks so magical!

    Serena / http://www.ramblingsofanotherunigraduate.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend it! It's so, so good! <3

      Delete
  10. I haven't heard of this book before but it seems interesting!! Thanks for sharing xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always on the look out for new books so omg has this been so helpful! Love your blog template by the way lovely x

    Morgan // www.justmorgs.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. omfg I'm such a sucker for books and this sounds SO good. I need to get my hands on this asap! lovely review!

    sami xx
    possiblysami.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and you definitely should, it's brilliant :D

      Delete
  13. This sounds really good! I'll add this to me to-read list! X

    ReplyDelete
  14. This book is being bought by me and soon. Your review is great without giving too much away. I love any book that's a little bit dark so I feel this will be right up my street :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) And oh, this will be a perfect read for you then! Let me know your thoughts on the story once you've given it a read.

      Delete
  15. I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but the cover of this is just so beautiful, I immediately want to pick it up and read it! I love the way you've structured your review too, especially with the 'three words to describe this book', I think that's fab! Thanks so much for sharing!

    Abbey 😘 www.abbeylouisarose.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I can't stop staring at it, the photo really doesn't do it justice though! The other half of the book is white, and there's another picture (in gold foil) inside the cover when you slip off the jacket. <3

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig