The State of Grace

As a bookworm (or rather, book dragon), I always look forward to the prospect of being given new books to read. When a surprise proof copy of The State of Grace from Macmillan was sent to me in the post, I put everything I was doing on hold to read the book, and I finished it within a day. It was beautiful.



Rachael Lucas's touching YA debut is about Grace, a teenager with Asperger's syndrome who looks at the world from a different perspective. Someone who loves the smaller things in life - like her horse and her best friend Anna - she feels like she has everything she ever needs. But when her life at home starts to fall apart, and she kisses a boy named Gabe who loves Doctor Who and gives her stomach butterflies, her life slowly begins to take a more complicated turn.

Favourite quote:

'Sometimes I think I don't even know who my own person is.'

Favourite character:

Grace, Gabe and Anna. It's honestly impossible to narrow it down - don't judge me, okay? Rachael Lucas did a phenomenal job at creating a story full of loveable characters. I adored Grace because she was honest, Gabe because he was caring (and liked Doctor Who!), and Anna because she was the kind of friend who wasn't afraid to give Grace some tough love when she needed it. They were the perfect bunch of YA characters - and ones I'd totally befriend if I could.

3 words to describe the book:

Heart-warming, sweet, insightful.

Rating:

✮✮✮✮/✮✮✮✮✮

The State of Grace is released in the U.K. on April 6th and it's definitely a book that you need to buy - I can't recommend it enough! It's sweet, funny, honest, and can we just take a second to appreciate how gorgeous the official cover is?

2 comments

  1. Ooooh,this sounds like something I'll have to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! It's a brilliant book!

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig