Our Chemical Hearts

Our Chemical Hearts is a book I couldn't resist buying when it was reduced to just 99p on the Kobo store. I'm usually someone who prefers buying books in paperback, but recently, I've been enjoying reading stories on my e-reader - and considering that I've now ran out of shelf space, it's so much more convenient!


Krystal Sutherland's debut is about a boy named Henry Page who, despite classing himself as a hopeless romantic, has never been in love. Focusing on his grades, wanting to get into a decent college, and hoping to become the editor of the school newspaper, he doesn't really mind - until he meets Grace Town, the new girl at school.

Grace is different: she walks with a cane, wears boy's clothes that are too big for her, and smells like she doesn't shower much. When she's assigned to edit the school paper with Henry, he's determined to get to know her more - but what he doesn't know is that Grace is broken in a way that he can't fix, and falling in love with her will only cause him a great deal of heartbreak.

Favourite quote:

'"Stories with happy endings are just stories that haven't finished yet."' 

Favourite character:

Even though I loved the book, I didn't actually have a favourite character (odd, I know!). Grace was too indecisive for me to love completely, and Henry sometimes annoyed me with his I-need-Grace-to-love-me-back attitude. That's what I enjoyed the most about the book, though - each individual character was portrayed in a realistic light, complete with flaws and personalities that made everything they said and did even more poignant.

3 words to describe the book:

Heart-breaking, gripping, beautiful.

Rating:

✮✮✮✮/✮✮✮✮✮

Our Chemical Hearts is a beautiful story, and I'm super excited for Krystal Sutherland to release her second YA novel, A Semi-Definitive List of Worst Nightmares, in September. It sounds incredible, and if it's written in a way that's anything like Our Chemical Hearts, I know it's going to be great.

2 comments

  1. Sounds like a great read! This reminded me that I need to start looking into a new ereader - mine eventually died on me sadly :( It was getting old...

    Britt | http://alternativelyspeaking.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. E-readers are great... since running out of shelf space, I've definitely started using mine more often. Hope you can replace yours soon! <3

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig