The Handmaid's Tale

The Handmaid's Tale is a book that's been sitting on my shelf for well over a year now. I never really felt motivated to read it, until a few days ago when I watched the TV adaptation of the book on channel 4.



The Handmaid's Tale is  set in a dystopian society, in the Republic of Gilead, and tells the story of Ofred. Ofred is a handmaid - one of the few women left who are able to have children. She has two jobs in life:  to buy groceries for the Commander's household, and bear the Commander's children. In a world where birth rates are declining, she only has purpose if her ovaries are working; if she can't have children, she is worthless.

Ofred can remember the time before she became a handmaid, where she lived in a normal house, had a husband named Luke, had a job, a beautiful daughter, money of her own, knowledge. But all of that is gone.

Favourite quote:

'Ignoring isn't the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.'

Favourite character:

I didn't really have a favourite character in the book, but I admired Ofred. The story was told from her perspective, so I was able to understand how she felt about the world around her, and had a sense of longing for what once was.

3 words to describe the book:

Unique, intense, thought-provoking.

Rating:

✮✮✮✮/✮✮✮✮✮

The writing style in this book was very unique. It took me a few chapters to get into the book, but once I was completely immersed in the way the story was told and the world Margaret Attwood created, I really enjoyed it.

Despite being a dystopian novel, the events in the story didn't seem unrealistic - they seemed believable, like maybe one day something like this could really happen. Just like the TV show, the book is extremely thought provoking, and for that reason I recommend it to everyone.

3 comments

  1. I've read this years ago, but being quite young, I don't think I completely understood it, I may re-read it now! I need to watch the TV adaption - it's such a powerful story! x

    http://chloeharriets.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You should definitely re-read it. If you watch the TV adaptation, let me know what you think of it! <3

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig