Under Rose-Tainted Skies

I finally got round to reading Under Rose-Tainted Skies, and it was just as beautiful as everyone said it would be.


Louise Gornall's debut is a story about Norah, a teenage girl who only ever leaves the house to attend therapy sessions. She battles with agoraphobia, OCD and anxiety, keeping in touch with the outside world and the people in it via the internet.

When a new neighbour named Luke moves in next door and sees Norah trying (but failing miserably) to move the groceries from the porch to the door using a broom, he doesn't think she's odd like most people do. Yes, he thinks she's different - but he also thinks she's smart and funny and cute, and Norah likes that.

Throughout the course of the story, the friendship they share soon develops into something deeper, and for Norah, this something deeper means confronting her demons head on. And for Luke, it means trying to understand what life is like through Norah's eyes, and how to come to terms with it.

Favourite quote:

'"Beauty comes from how you treat people and how you behave. But if a little lipstick makes you smile, then you should wear it and forget what anyone else thinks."'

Favourite character:

Norah. Not just because she was brave, but because her character was portrayed realistically. In young adult books, I personally feel like the 'love fixes everything' trope still makes a fairly common appearance, but in Under Rose-Tainted Skies this wasn't the case. Even when falling for Luke, Norah still had those moments where she felt consumed by anxiety and depression, and I think the constant change in her behaviour patterns just made her all that more realistic and relatable for someone going through the same experiences as her.

I also adored Norah's mum. She was the kind of motherly figure everyone wants to have: a constant, solid presence who was supportive, understanding and great at giving out advice when it was needed.

3 words to describe the book:

Beautiful, insightful, compelling.

Rating:

✮✮✮✮
/✮✮✮✮✮

For anyone looking to improve their understanding of mental health and read a story from a different perspective, this book is one I can't recommend enough. It's raw, it's real and it's emotional. And I think, more importantly, it's educational - it made me think more about the issues and taboos surrounding mental health, and I certainly think it will do the same to anyone else who reads it.

Despite the story being set in nothing but Norah's home, Louise Gornall does a phenomenal job at keeping the storyline compelling throughout, and I'm so excited to see what the future holds not only for this book, but Louise's future stories.

5 comments

  1. Oh this sounds like my kind of book! I'm after a new read so going to order it :), thank you for the inspo! :) x

    http://chloeharriets.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I hope you enjoy it :D

      Delete
  2. Oooh, I've been quite intrigued by this (and it's gorgeous pink cover!). I'm glad you enjoyed it, I'll have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I think you'll enjoy it! :)

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig